Flexin the Flax - gettin ready for Puerto Rico
Endurance CrackersThese Endurance Crackers are extremely light and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. They are also vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, and oil-free to boot! Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. Nutritional info follows.
Yield: 22 large crackers
- 1C flax seeds
- 1/2 cup chia seeds*
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1.5 cup water
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tsp grated sweet onion
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- Herbamare & kelp granules, to taste (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. OR if you have a dehydrator place it on 118 or lower to retain maximum nutrient value...
2. In a large bowl, mix the seeds together. In a small bowl, mix the water, grated garlic, and grated onion. Whisk well. Pour the water mixture onto the seeds and stir until thick and combined. Season with salt, and optional Herbamare and Kelp granules, to taste. Add spices or fresh herbs if you wish.
3. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet with the back of a spoon until it’s less than 1/4 inch thick. Not to worry if a couple parts become too thin, you can just patch them up.
4. Bake at 325F for 30 minutes OR dry at 118 until crispy - 12 hrs... Remove from oven/dehydrator, slice into crackers, carefully flip onto other side with a spatula. Bake for another 30 minutes. (or if using a dehydrator dry until they are totally crisp. You can 't burn something in a dehydrator!! which is a good thing for me) , watching closely after about 25 minutes. The bottoms will be lightly golden in colour. Allow to cool completely on the pan. Store in a container or plastic baggy.