Pho Pho Pho.. Happy Holidays!
Fragrant Pho Noodle Bowl with BUCKWHEAT NOODLES!
Fragrant Pho Noodle Bowl
2 lbs. / 1 kg onion (white, yellow, red…)
1.5 oz / 50g fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
3 black cardamom pods (green cardamom also works)
3 star anise
5 whole cloves
½ tsp. black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp. coriander seeds
½ Tbsp. sea salt
6 cups / 1.5 liters water
- Peel and roughly chop onions. Wash ginger and slice, leaving the skin on.
- To the pot of water add all spices, onions, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for one hour or more with the lid on. You can also boil for thirty minutes, turn off the heat and let the broth steep until you are ready to eat.
- Strain broth through a sieve into another pot and discard all solids.
Noodle Bowl Suggested Ingredients
- Noodles: soba or rice (cook according to package directions)
- Greens: bok choy, spinach, swiss chard,
- Cruciferous veggies: broccoli, romanesco, cauliflower, cabbage (raw or lightly steamed)
- Other veg: mung bean sprouts, carrot, bell pepper, mushrooms
- Garnishes: lime, toasted sesame seeds, Thai basil, spring onion, sriracha, tamari