Raw & Vegan - hot chocolate...
Now, I know what else you are thinking - raw food and drink are by definition, not allowed to be hot, that doesn’t mean that you can’t still make a warm drink to thaw out your icy fingers.
If you don’t care much about 100% raw but are enjoying a healthier version of the ol' standard, you can heat it up to your preference.
The Mylk (serves 2):
- small handful of nuts (ie: almond cashew or hazelnut)
- 1 cup of filtered water *This is to make the nut milk, alternatively you can just use a cup of nut milk you have on hand
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp raw cacao nibs OR 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp grade B maple syrup (Grade B has more minerals! add onlyto taste)
- 2 cups filtered water
What to do:
- If you are using cacao nibs, you’ll have to grind them into a fine powder. We use a coffee bean grinder, but a regular ol’ mortar and pestle would do the trick. Whatever you have on hand, but it has to be a very fine powder.
- Mix the nuts and the water in your blender (skip this and the next step if you already have nut milk on hand).
- Filter the nut milk in a nut milk bag (I use a clean mesh paint strainer - but cheese clothin will also do! If you skip this step, your drink will be grainy and not as enjoyable)
- Pour the nut milk back into the blender & add the cacao powder, vanilla, & maple syrup. Blend on high.
- Meanwhile, heat up the filtered water in a kettle or on the stove. You can better control the temperature by doing it on the stove.
- Pour your nut mylk cacao mixture into two cups, they should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full. No more than 1/2 or you won’t get very warm chocolate. It might take once or twice before you get the measurement right for your cups.
- Fill the cups with your now warm or hot filtered water, whatever your preference. Remember you are mixing a room temperature liquid with the hot water, so it’s not going to be as hot as if you just boiled the kettle.
- The benefit is that it’s still nice and warm, and you don’t have to wait 5 minutes for it to cool off before you can drink it. And you are going to be drinking up all those delicious antioxidants while they are still useable.
- Make sure to stir with a spoon before drinking.