Is there anyone out there who doesn’t love a good makeover?
Today as we set out on THANKSGIVING WEEK lets see how we can keep ourselves on track, enjoy some amazing food, still feel good come Saturday and give that kitchen a bit of a makeover!.
This soup gets its velvety texture from beans instead of dairy. This is a great technique when making blended soups because beans add so much creaminess without the high fat content, plus you get an extra hit of filling fiber.
what to do:
• Prepare leeks by removing the very tip of the root, and the tough, dark green parts at the very top. Chop leeks, then swirl them around in a large bowl of water to remove any dirt (due to how they grow, leeks can have a little grit between their layers).
• In a large stock pot, heat a knob of coconut oil or butter, add turmeric, cayenne and leeks with a teaspoon of sea salt. Stir to coat and let cook on medium heat for five minutes or so, until leeks have softened. Mince garlic and add to the pot.
• Scrub the sweet potatoes, and chop them into rough cubes (leave the skin on!). Add them to the pot, stir and cook for a few minutes. Add broth and beans. Bring a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
• Using a regular blender or stick blender puree the soup until totally creamy. Add olive oil and lemon juice, plus salt to taste if necessary, blend once more and serve with Ginger-Kissed Pumpkin Seeds.
Ginger-Kissed Pumpkin Seeds
Makes ½ cup
• ½ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
• ½ Tbsp. olive oil
• ½ Tbsp. maple syrup
• 1 Tbsp. ginger powder
• pinch sea salt
*** if you want to skip the ginger and maple syrup these are great just toasted with a little olive oil and sea salt too!
what to do:
• Preheat oven to 300°F / 150°C.
• Toss pumpkin seeds with other ingredients. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until toasty and fragrant. (you can also do this step in a large frying pan on the stove - just toast them until they pop a bit. YUM!) Remove and let cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container