Breathing = Relaxation. Have you forgotten to breathe today?
That's right - you don’t need to fall into the stress of modern life or think you have to do something elaborate to find a bit of relaxation in your day - can't make it to a yoga clas, didn't get up early enough to meditate? No worries - you can use your natural breathing to relax, pranayama deep breathing ( which can be done anywhere - literally) even better! rather than stress out your mind and body.
Deep breathing is both calming and energizing, pranayama even more so. The energy you feel from a few minutes of careful breathe is not nervous or hyper, but that calm, steady energy we all need. Slow, steady, and quiet breathing gives a message to your nervous system: Be calm.
It's Friday -
Take a 5-minute Breath Break right at your desk!
1. Sit OR STAND EVEN BETTER with your spine as straight as possible. Use a chair if necessary but don’t slump into it. Feet flat on the floor with knees directly over the center of your feet. Use a book or cushion under your feet if they do not rest comfortably on the floor.
2. Interlock your fingers underneath your chin, thumbs crossed.
3. Eyes open, mouth closed
4. Think about your ribs, at the front, back, and at the sides of your body. Your lungs are behind those ribs.
5. Inhale through your nose, simultaneously lifting your elbows toward the ceiling. Keep your chin down, eyes forward and keep breathing - feel your lungs filling up, your ribs expanding out and up. Keep breathing and lifting your elbows until your lungs are full your forearms frame your face.
6. Hold it
7. Slowly exhale by the mouth, allowing your head to go back, hands squeeze together - head all the way back until you lungs are empty - elbows touch away from the chest
5. REPEAT - INHALE - 9 more times breathing so big you feel dizzy.
When you learn how good it makes you feel, you’ll want to do it at other times as well.
Just as we encounter stress every day, we must try and relax every day. Just 5 minutes a day of breathing exercises will make the world of difference.....
- Good for lungs and respiratory system
- Helps with mental relaxation
- Helps high blood pressure
- Relieves irritability
- Good for detoxification
- Exercises nervous, respiratory and circulatory systems